Monday 22 February 2010

The parcel arrives - a list of events.

Thursday pm - I arrive from work: my parcel arrivesd today! I couldn't wait to open it and open it I did, before I got changed into my 'home' clothes.
First thing, of course, look through the folder - the welcome letter can wait. First impressions: nice colour photos, exciting table of contents. I'm really looking forward to get going. I guess I rather have a look at the information about the course too... direct debit forms to send back, intro to write and send to my tutor, etc...

Children wanted my attention so I put the materials down reluctantly and get on with my 'motherly' activities.

In the night I have dreams about fabrics, yarns, shapes and colours...

Friday - busy, busy as usual - I take my OCA folder to work with me. Fill in and send the official 'bits' - introduce myself to Sarah, my tutor. ...and find out about the APEL system. As I already have a graphic design/illustration qualification and I have been painting for a lifetime I might be eligible for a few extra points/credits to propel me into my BA in Creative Arts.

I surf the web to find out possible study paths - I didn't know one could get a PhD in Textiles! well, that's something to aim for. I go to Amazon to look for New Textiles and go a little mad with the one click, result: about 6 lovely books moving in with me. (I already have art/knitting/textile books all over the house - yes, including the smaller rooms.)

Saturday I finally get to have some 'proper' time: first thing I need to gather all my books to see what I already have on the way of resources. I also need to create a space where I can work comfortably... the office/conservatory has great light but it's far too cold. We're not using the dining room lately...

We go to Ikea, got a new bookcase and build it up. Got three wicker baskets for 'bits'. I didn't realise I had so many books until I notice I've almost filled in the new bookcase... still, nice to re-visit some of my old friends... look through lovely books, but must focus on the task in hand!

Materials sorted, books in place, table cleared, papers and 'bits' gathered. I can now get on with first exercise... interesting observations about the way my mind works... but that's another chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment